Mr 6 loves tacos more than any other food. In fact he recently said that I was 2 trillion the best because I made him tacos for dinner. I also love tacos because they are super easy to make. I buy the stand n stuff soft tacos (or taco boats as we like to call them) because they are easier for Mr 6 to handle.
I usually send the left overs to school with Mr 6 the next day as well. However I found that they were a pain to put in his lunch box and took up a bit too much room. I wondered if I could use muffin tins or cupcake tins to make a smaller version of the stand n stuff tacos. So the easy mini tacos were born!
Easy Mini Tacos
- 1 pack of mini tortillas (You can use large ones too of course. I also found that the old el paso was a thicker tortilla which made them easier to work with.)
- Taco Mince (Mr 6 is a fusspot so for us taco mince means mince with taco seasoning. However if your kids are a little more adventurous then make it the way you usually do.)
- Tomato Sauce
- Shredded cheese (you can grate your own cheese but I’m lazy)
- Cupcake tray (I use a silicone one because they are super easy to keep clean when using melted cheese)
- Scone cutter or something to cut circles out of the tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Cut circles out of the tortillas using the scone cutter. I initially used an egg ring but I found that it was just a little too big for the cupcake tray. I used 2.5 mini tortillas to make 12 mini tacos.
- Pinch opposite sides of a circle and fold it into a +. This makes it easier to fold into the cupcake tray.
- Press the circles into the cupcake tray, there will be overlap so press these against the sides to create a crease. Don’t worry if the tortilla rips a little. I filled the entire cupcake tray as I found this make things less fiddly.
- Spoon the taco mince into the tortilla cups. You only need about a teaspoon full. Fill the cups to the top.
- Put tomato sauce across the top of the taco mince. You can also use salsa if you wish.
- Sprinkle the cheese across the top. You only need a small amount otherwise it makes the mini tacos too greasy.
- Bake the mini tacos for around 15 minutes or until the cheese is a golden brown colour.
- Allow the mini tacos to cool, then place in containers or plastic resealable bags in the freezer. The mini tacos are then ready for a week of school!
Mr 6 loves these bite size tacos. You can use different fillings as well. I had some cooked chicken that I needed to use up and that tasted great as well. I used salsa with the chicken though to give it a tangy boost!
Does your family love tacos?
What is your favourite topping?
Linking up with Jess for IBOT!
Wow!! My son also loves Tacos. This is brilliant! Now he can have them for lunch.
Tacos is what my kids ask for at least once a week as they love them. I am not a huge fan so we limit our eating but I like the mini ones as they could easily take them to school #teamIBOT
Ooh these look like great little bite size snacks. We’ve never had tacos, would you believe? The girls go mad on chicken burritos though.
Kids love tacos. We used to have a boy for dinner every Monday and I found they were the safest dinner option for everyone….
What a great idea, will definitely try these. Wonder if they freeze?
Oh those do look so yummy! We are Taco fans here in this house. It’s something I do when I want an easy night! 😉
Bugger the kid! I’d be happy to make these and eat them myself. Thanks for a great idea!
My 11 yr old loves tacos. Will show her this for sure. She is taking charge of her lunches this year by choice. Thanks.
I love this idea for work snacks! I was told last year I don’t snack enough so yay, permission to snack! Admittedly I’ve never tried the stand n stuff shells, but they freak me out as they look fake in the ads. I can’t explain it…
These look amazing! and super easy! Thank you for sharing, I think PJ will love these xx
Oh this is a very cool idea! I’ll have to give it a go.
What a fab idea for the lunchbox!
BECAUSE TACOS ARE THE BEST. This is brilliant.
Tacos are a huge hit in our house Love this idea for lunch boxes!
That’s such a cool way to make them! I’ll have to try this with my kids. I haven’t made Tacos in years!
I love this! My kids love tacos and they’ll love this too. Great idea to make tacos more portable 🙂
Yummo! Our family loooves tacos too. I don’t know a family that doesn’t. Great idea!
Yum! I can see this making it to our mid-week rotation. Easy and something the children would totally eat without any drama.
This is BRILLIANT. So going to try this – I LOVE Mexican food but my family needs a little bit of nudge. This might just be it.
I might not have kids to make things for any more but I know I’d like these! Yummo Tegan. Denyse