I have never professed to be love doing housework or even be any good at it. In fact if you ever see me saying how much I love it, it’s safe to assume that my body has been taken over by aliens and the authorities should be contacted immediately. However it goes much deeper than this. Studies* have shown that housework is in fact bad for you. I have unfortunately learned this the hard way and so to save you the pain I thought I would share with you my experiences.
- When I was younger I burnt my stomach on a biscuit pan as I was taking it out of the oven. This obviously had nothing to do with the fact that I was only wearing a crop top at the time and only further proves the already extensive research**
- When Mr 4 was a newborn I put the water on to do the washing up. I promptly forgot about it until I heard splashing on the kitchen floor. Of course I hadn’t actually put the cold water on yet and in my baby brain haze I simply plunged my hand into the boiling water.
- Tuesday night I went out at 10pm and hung the washing out. I got attacked so bad by mozzies that I had to lay in a freezing cold bath for 10 minutes to stop the itching.
- One summer’s day I was hanging washing out in the middle of the day and managed to burn my hands on the line and pegs. My hands were red raw by the time I had finished.
- I bought a steam mop about 18 months ago. Somehow I managed to drop it on my foot..while it was on.
- While being all ‘I am woman hear my roar‘ and pulling apart my old washing machine I managed to drop it on my toe while I was trying to reach the screwdriver that I had dropped between the outside and the tub.
- Recently I was changing the sheets on my bed and hit my thumb on the wall as I was pulling it tight…ripping my half of my fingernail off. It still hasn’t fully grown back yet.
- Even grocery shopping is dangerous. I had a trolley full of groceries and was making my way down the escalator to the taxi rank. The trolley got stuck in the tracks of the escalator..all of my childhood fears of getting sucked in my the escalator came rushing back. Thankfully a guy was able to jump down the side and pull the trolley free. My hips and legs were sore for weeks.
Clearly these all prove that housework is in fact bad for me. I will point Paul in the direction of this post next time he asks why there is still a pile of washing up on the sink!
*I may have made these studies up.
** These ones too..
Have you ever been a victim of housework? Do you avoid it like the plague too?
Flogging my blog with the lovely With Some Grace.
I have a moon shaped scar on my thumb from a broken glass in the kitchen sink. I was turning the dishcloth inside the glass and didn’t even know until I pulled my hand out the sink, blood everywhere, lucky I didn’t slice my thumb off!
There should be health warnings on every cleaning product, and the dangers taught in every home ec class across the country!!
Yes we need to educate the young about this epidemic sweeping households every where.
I agree – housework is definitely not good for you. I think in light of all that you have experienced in the name of research, you should award yourself at least a year off from housework and anything related to manual labour and order those minions that we all have to do everything for you !!
Take care of yourself when you eventually have to do the housework.
Have a great day whatever you are doing.
Now if only I could find those minions! They seem to be in the same place as the damn dinner fairy!
Up until a few years ago I was nearly guaranteed a burn on my wrist every time I used the electric frypan. Apparently getting lazy and inattentive and resting your arm on the frypan whlie cooking isn’t a very good habit lol.
I too have run the hot water tap until it nearly overflowed. And I mean nearly because by the time I realised it was lapping the edge of the sink and me having to use something to let the water out spilt it over the edge. I was lucky that I had realised it was hot water and didn’t put my hand straight in.
I love your disclaimer at the end too 🙂
No definitely not a good habit to get into!
I stood on at least four bits of dry cat food this morning causing loud ouches and painful limping while being forced to clean as I have company coming this arvo and prefer them not to immediately turn around and leave again 🙂 I think your studies show merit.
Layla has taken to chewing half of her dog biscuit and then spitting the other half out..there is fucking dog biscuits everywhere.
I have stabbed myself, been attacked by hot oil and put my back out. I should be getting danger money for this rubbish…
The possible disease risk when emptying a school bag 6 weeks after school broke up is almost at hazmat levels…say no more.
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.. I though doing it after a couple of days was bad!
Oh, Tegan, babe! You made me squirm with your injuries. I am paranoid about burning myself. But speaking of injuries, just had one an hour trying to put in some salt to my casserole. I was using a grinder and can you believe it, it broke and a chunk of my hand got caught in the grinder as it broke! Unbelievable!
Ouch! I don’t think I have managed to do that one..yet lol!
Hang housework! I have deliberately left a trail of destruction through the house today. Both kids are a bit fluey, I was up half the night, and it’s Friday. Could. Not. Give. A. Damn.
I hope you are feeling better by now! We are sick too and the house looks like a bombsite.
Anecdotal evidence is the best kind of research I reckon 😉 And I am no domestic goddess either…
Well no one was going to believe me without some hard evidence 😉
HA HA, you are so right, and have you heard that latest research has proved our husbands/partners will get more action if they take over said housework/chores! xxx
Ha love your work!
I’ve had plenty of burns in the kitchen and I’ve burned myself on the iron (although I hardly iron anymore) but to me it is the psychological damage from missing out on all the pleasant things I could have done but for housework!
Definitely something that needs to be minimised!
I have burnt myself so many times doing ironing, so I second this notion.
Also dusting flares up my allergies so that’s clearly to be avoided!
I have an iron..somewhere. The only person who has used it is my Mum lol
Somehow I managed to slice my right thumb while chopping carrot….
I’m right handed….