*I received one weekend family pass to Oz Comic-Con for myself and one weekend family pass for the purpose of a giveaway. All opinions expressed are my own.*
Anxiety is something that I have been dealing with in increasing intensity after the last few years. It has stopped me from doing things that I love. It has stopped me from doing things with people that I love. Worst of all, the guilt of not doing those things has been worse than the anxiety too.
I have been adding to my therapy toolbox with my psychologist. Being mentally healthy is hard work, but with practice some of these skills come without me having to think about it. I want to share those tips with you.
- Have an exit strategy. One of the most overwhelming things for me is feeling like I have to commit to x amount of hours. I work myself up about not being able to last that long. I find that allowing myself an exit strategy if I need it helps to alleviate that overwhelm. More times than not, I end up staying longer than I planned too.
- Best. Worst. Most likely. This is a skill that my psychologist has passed along to me. What is the best outcome from the situation? What is the worst outcome? What is the most likely outcome. Also, if the worst does happen, what is the impact in the grand scheme of things? Will I be safe? Will those I love be safe? This strategy also helps to brainstorm ideas for what I will do, if the worst outcome does eventuate.
- Practice mindfulness. Focus on the smaller things around you. Find something you can smell, something you can hear, something you can see and something you can touch. If you find it easier, don’t be afraid to use headphones while out too. I feel more overwhelmed when using headphones, so that one doesn’t work for me, but I know others have found it helpful.
- Make a plan. If possible, sit down with the event map prior to the event and work out where the things that you want to see are. Work out where the amenities are situated and also where any food trucks/shops are.
- Wear something you’re comfortable and feel good in. This one might seem like a no brainer, but I know that when I wear clothes that I don’t feel 100% comfy in, that heightens my feelings of being judged. In an ideal world, I wouldn’t feel judged, but right now I live in an anxious world.
- Take a comfort item. You need to do what makes you feel comfortable in a situation that often literally feels life or death. If having a stuffed animal, or a baby blanket helps that, then I say go for it.
Anxiety is a selfish bastard. I’m sick of it taking away the good things and making me feel guilty for it. I’m kicking back!
To celebrate kicking anxiety in the pants, I have a little giveaway! I have one (1) family weekend pass to Oz Comic-Con to giveaway to one lucky winner. The winner can choose from Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane. All you have to do is answer one question:
What is your best tip for beating those pre-event jitters?
Competitions ends Wednesday April 7th at 6pm!
Terms and Conditions
- Entries close on Wednesday the 7th of April 6pm EST. Entries received after this time will not be entered into the draw.
- This competition is open to Australian residents only.
- One entry per household. Multiple entries will be removed.
- Valid entries will answer the question ‘what is your best tip for beating those pre-event jitters?’. This is a game of skill.
- All decisions are final.
Linking up with Kylie for IBOT! If you like to blog on Tuesdays then head on over!