This week for I must confess, Kirtsy is asking us to share our go-to recipe for when we need to whip something up quickly. I contemplated sharing my *real* go-to food when I don’t feel like cooking by I fear that would result in a pretty quick post! So instead I am sharing a nice pasta recipe that is a winner for me (and a little adaption for Mr 5).
- 1 packet of gnocchi (if you are one of those masterchef types you could probably make your own)
- Bacon (I didn’t measure, I just hacked some off the lump that’s in my freezer)
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 4 medium sized cup mushrooms
- 300ml thickened cream
- tomato sauce
- Follow the instructions on the packet of gnocchi. Drain and set to one side.
- Spoon a portion of gnocchi into a small bowl. Cover in tomato sauce. This is Mr 5’s portion done with. I wish I was kidding.
- Over a medium heat cook the bacon and garlic until the bacon is heated through.
- Add the mushrooms and eschallots, continue stirring to ensure that the heat is evenly distributed.
- Once everything is cooked through, reduce the heat and add the gnocchi and cream.
- Stir the cream, until everything is coated. Allow it to simmer, occasionally stirring, until it thickens. This takes about 15-20 minutes. Don’t try and multitask because the cream will split if you don’t watch it. Unfortunately I have learned this one the hard way.
- Take your pants off, seat yourself on the couch and chow down!
Note: You can add chicken but honestly the gnocchi is so filling that it really isn’t needed.
What is your go-to recipe when you need to whip something up quickly? Do you have fussy kids who will only eat pasta with tomato sauce?